Flossing is so much more than wiggling a piece of thread between your teeth, it is an art form. It’s a dance between the teeth and gums with a ribbon to caress them. No matter how often you floss, the secret is in the technique, because flossing with style brings out your smile. Don’t be afraid to approach your floss with the flair of a professional, because after all, you have been doing it all your life. Try the following tips to brush up on your flossing skills:
– Floss at least once a day.
– Break off a piece of thread approximately 18 inches in length.
– Wrap each end of the floss around each middle finger until you only have an inch or two to work with.
– Gently slide the floss up-and-down between your teeth and avoiding pressing too hard when reaching the gumline.
– When you reach the gumline , gently curve the floss into a ‘c’ shape around the tooth, to go beneath the gumline.
– When moving to a new tooth, use the same gentle up-and-down motion to move away from your finished tooth.
– Each time you move to a new tooth, use a new section of the floss by adjusting the line using your middle finger.
– Remember to get between every tooth, as well as the backside of your last teeth.
Be sure to ask your dentist for recommendations on acceptable floss products, and don’t forget to brush twice daily.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with the dentists at Stepp Family Dentistry, you can call us at 713-520-8400, or stop by our office in Bellaire, Texas.