Do you have an upcoming root canal appointment that you’re nervous about? Root canals are usually accomplished in one to two visits to your dentist, and the recovery process can be just as simple if you utilize the following advice:
– Take pain relievers as instructed: Your dentist will prescribe pain medication at the time of your procedure. Taking this medication as instructed will help you feel comfortable while your tooth heals.
– Don’t eat until the numbness wears off: Chewing with a numb mouth increases your chances of biting your cheek or tongue, resulting in further discomfort.
– Treat your temporary filler with care: Fully restoring a tooth after a root canal may take more than one visit to the dentist. If this is the case, and you leave your first appointment with a temporary filler, take extra precautions because temporary fillers can be dislodged. Don’t bite down on the tooth or brush it vigorously until it has received a permanent filler.
– Keep your mouth clean: Your tooth will heal much faster if it doesn’t have to battle food particles or plaque. Good oral hygiene will also reduce your risk of needing more root canals in the future.
– Tell your dentist if your tooth has a problem: If you experience severe pain or pressure for more than a few days, contact your dentist. Other issues may be an uneven bite, visible swelling inside or outside the mouth, or an allergic reaction.
For more information on root canals in Bellaire, Texas, contact Bellaire Dental Specialists. Our dentist, Dr. Daniela Adeola, offers root canal treatment as part of our full mouth rehabilitation care. We’re more than happy to help you prepare for your root canal recovery.